Thursday, January 16, 2014

What does He see?

Tonight, I was on the old computer and needed to delete some things to make space on the hard drive. I went to downloads, sorted by type, and clicked on 'The Cross' from Billy Graham. I downloaded this movie with good intentions to watch it, but never got around to actually watching it. It's a fairly big file at over 400MB since it was the HD video. As I clicked to delete it, I felt a little guilty that I didn't watch it. I've never been really big on what I'd call mega-evangelists like Billy Graham, but I decided to watch it before I deleted it. (SPOILER ALERT: If you haven't watched 'The Cross', you can watch it on http://myhopewithbillygraham.org/programs/the-cross/ before you keep reading.)

I was surprised. It is a good, well-made video with two personal testimonies that I wasn't expecting. But there was one part that brought me to tears. Billy Graham quotes John 14:6, then says:
"When you come to him [Jesus], you are clothed in his righteousness. God no longer sees you a sinner; He no longer sees your own heart. He sees Jesus." 
I never thought of it quite this way. It was moving and left me in tears. I finished the video, then went back to that part. Again, I was moved to tears. Even now, I am not sure what the emotions really were. It was a feeling of relief that God sees His son instead of me and the love He must feel towards me. It had some joy; It had some shame.

There is a line from Indescribable by Chris Tomlin that says: "You see the depths of my heart and You love me the same." That is my favorite line in that song. But I like even more the idea that he doesn't see me; doesn't see my heart. He sees Jesus.

Here's the video Chris Tomlin doing a live performance of 'Indescribable':


No comments:

Post a Comment